Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Sections

Palazzo Paradiso - Ariostea Library

The municipal libraries reopen on Wednesday 27 May for loans and returns. All other services are suspended, including the possibility of using the study rooms and the choice of books on the open shelves.
Palazzo Paradiso - Ariostea Library

The palace was built in 1391 and decorated with scenes of court life and motifs drawn from the literature of chivalry.

In 1567 it was designated as a centre for the various university faculties: it was then that, to the design of Alessandro Balbi and Giovan Battista Aleotti, today’s imposing facade with the clock tower and a large portal in white stone was added. In the eighteenth century, Antonio Foschini built the broad staircase leading to the Ariostea Library and Francesco Mazzarelli the Anatomical Theatre, which can still be visited. In 1801 the tomb of Ludovico Ariosto was transferred here from St Benedict’s Church. The Ariostea Library contains a vast patrimony of books that ranges from antique manuscripts to the most modern publications. It is partly organised with open shelving and has a room with facilities for the visually impaired.

ARIOSTO ROOM >>

Related documents

Opening

Mon. to Fri.: 9.00-19-30. Sat.: 9.00-13.00.

Visits are possible during the opening hours of the library.

Price

Free entrance

How to get here

On foot: 10 minutes from the Este Castle;
By bus: n. 2 from the Train Station.

Accessibility

Accessible to people with disabilities.

last modified May 22, 2020 03:13
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information