Sections

Teatro Comunale "Claudio Abbado"

Recently dedicated to the great conductor, Claudio Abbado, the history of the Teatro Pubblico di Ferrara dates back to 1790 under the direction of the architect Giuseppe Campana
Teatro Comunale "Claudio Abbado"

Direction of the theatre’s construction then passed to the architect Antonio Foschini and then to Cosimo Morelli.

The theatre was completed in 1797 and despite the assortment of architects, remains very unified in style, fitting well into the surrounding urban fabric among the pre-existing architecture like the Castello and the Church of San Carlo. The front of the building is a key component of the city’s life.

The façade facing the Castello has a wide portico and is connected on the side facing the Church of San Carlo through an elegant elliptical court; both served as a shelter for the public that would wait there before the start of performances or when leaving, and awaiting carriages to return home. The interior is a classic example of an Italian-style theatre – elegant and functional. The ceiling and box seating were splendidly decorated with frescoes and stucco by Francesco Migliari in 1850. The innovative acoustics – the “sound curves” – were attributed to Cosimo Morelli. The theatre attracts large audiences with full seasons of theatre and concerts in addition to the Ferrara Musica concerts which it has hosted for many years.

Opening

For groups only by reservation

Price

Full price € 3.00
FREE Under age 18

Free

  • Up to age 18

How to get here

Is in front of the Castle Estense
By bus: No. 1 and No. 9 from the Railway station, bus stop Giovecca Teatini.
Accessible by car.

last modified Nov 16, 2017 04:35
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information