Sections

Church of San Paolo

The building was reconstructed in its present-day form after the earthquake of 1570 by the architect Alberto Schiatti. The ex-convent with two elegant cloisters still stands alongside it.
Church of San Paolo

Inside, there are frescoes and valuable paintings from over the centuries, above all the 16th and 17th, which make this church a museum of late-Renaissance Ferrarese artists. In the left aisle, of particular note is The Descent of the Holy Spirit by Scarsellino in the third chapel, The Resurrection and The Circumcision by Bastianino in the fourth and fifth. Works by the same artists are also to be seen in the opposite aisle: The Birth of St. John the Baptist by Scarsellino in the third chapel, The Annunciation by Bastianino in the fifth. In the right transept, below the organ, we can admire St. Jerome by Girolamo da Carpi. Works realised by Domenico Mona are The Adoration of the Magi, behind the high altar and, to the sides of the presbytery, The Conversion and The Decollation of St. Paul. In the vault of the apse we can admire Elijah’s Abduction, by Scarsellino, a fresco that opened a new chapter in Italian Baroque painting.

Opening

Closed for restauration works

Contacts

Ferrara - Corso Porta Reno, 60

How to get here

On foot: 10 minutes from the Castle Estense
By bus: No. 3c railway station, Corso Porta Reno stop
Restricted traffic zone.
Google maps

last modified Aug 17, 2017 12:09
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information