Sections

Church of San Francesco

The church, erected in 1594 on a pre-existing Franciscan complex, the church is a masterpiece of the architect Biagio Rossetti.
Church of San Francesco

The brick facade is marked by marble and terracotta lesenes and sweeping lateral scrolls. The interior is arranged as a Latin cross with three aisles. There are eight chapels on each side and its pure Renaissance geometrical proportions give an impression of great harmony. In the first chapel on the left is a wonderful fresco by Garofalo The Capture of Christ (1524). Alongside the fresco is a rare example of an altarpiece sculpted in stone (Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane), flanked by frescoed portraits of the donators. In the right aisle, between the sixth and seventh chapel, we can admire a Christ on the Column in terracotta, from the early 15th century, flanked by two men with whips frescoed a century later. In the right transept is the large Baroque mausoleum of Marquis Ghiron Francesco Villa (died 1670); while in the left transept there is a magnificent 5th-century Roman sarcophagus from Ravenna. Behind the main alter is a large triptych Resurrection, Ascension and Deposition (1580-1583), the work of Domenico Mona.

Opening

Every day 8.00 - 12.00 / 15.30 - 18.30.

Entrance from Via Savonarola

Contacts

Ferrara - Piazzale San Francesco
telefax 0532 201978

Information office

Main Tourist Information Office of Ferrara

Ferrara

How to get here

On foot: 10 minutes from the Este Castle.
By bus: from the Railway Station bus n.1 or 9, 2nd stop in C.so Giovecca (via Terranuova).

last modified Sep 18, 2019 12:30
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information