Sections

Church of S. Domenico

The Dominican complex, composed of the church and the large monastery, little of which still exists, was located exactly on the line that divided the medieval city from the Renaissance one.
Church of S. Domenico

The present-day church, built in the 1700s, was designed by Vincenzo Santini; the only remains of the original church, which faced the opposite direction, are the campanile and an apsidal chapel that can be seen alongside the façade. Interior: laid out along graceful, classical, but rather sober lines, the interior contains numerous paintings, some of which are of a certain value, particularly the works of Cignaroli (second chapel on the left) and Bononi (fifth chapel on the right). A wooden choir dating back to 1384 is conserved behind the high altar. The floor of the church is almost completely covered with age-old gravestones.

Opening

Working Days
8.30-12.00 / 16.30-18.00.

TEMPORARILY CLOSED

Contacts

Ferrara - Via Spadari

How to get here

On foot: 5 minutes from the Castle Estense
By bus: No. 1 and No. 9 from the railway station, stop Giardini Cavour (about 250 meters).
Accessible by car.
Google maps

last modified May 30, 2017 11:32
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information