Sections

Piazzas, loggias and historical routes

Ferrara

Jewish Ghetto

In the heart of the medieval city lies the ghetto, an area which conserves the memories of the centuries-old Jewish Community of Ferrara and where the same community was from 1627 to 1861.

Corso Giovecca

This street, built by Biagio Rossetti by demolishing the old walls, forms the link between the Medioeval city to the south, and the Addizione Erculea to the north,...

Piazza Ariostea

This very special oval piazza set below ground level and also famous for the races of the Palio, is the work of the architect Biagio Rossetti.

Piazza Trento Trieste

The piazza is the beating heart of the city. It dates back to the Middle Ages and the building of the new cathedral dedicated to St. George around which the seats of religious, civil and lordly power, in the shape of the family who in fact ruled Ferrara, were concentrated.

Quadrivio degli Angeli

The quadrivium was the name given to the crossroads where Corso Ercole d'Este crosses Corso Porta Mare (to the right) and Corso Biagio Rossetti (to the left).

Via delle Volte

This charming medieval street marks the axis along which the so-called linear Ferrara developed between the 7th and 9th centuries A.D. and which greatly influenced the further development of the entire city.

Via San Romano

This ancient road was the main link between the market square (currently Piazza Trento e Trieste) and the port, which was situated at the present via Ripagrande.

Piazza Municipale

Piazza Municipale was once the former court of honour of the Ducal Palace that is dominated by the magnificent Scalone d’Onore (stairway of honour) built by Pietro Benvenuto degli Ordini.

Corso Ercole I d'Este

It was called Via degli Angeli after the church of St. Mary of the Angels that once rose at the end of it.

Cento

Comacchio

The Wheat Loggia and The Clock Tower and

In the centre of the city in Via Ugo Bassi one can see the Civic Tower an the Wheat Loggia. At one time the Tower and the Loggia stood between the magnificent Piazza Bridge which was demolished in 19th century.

last modified Jun 05, 2012 11:48
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information