The cathedral of Ferrara dates from the 12th century and bears witness to all the historical periods of the city. The outstanding façade, divided into three sections, was begun in Romanesque style, still visible in the lower part.
Built for the Jesuits in 1570 to the design ofthe architect Alberto Schiatti, the church has a simple and austere brick façade, divided into two sections and with three portals decorated with marble.
The Dominican complex, composed of the church and the large monastery, little of which still exists, was located exactly on the line that divided the medieval city from the Renaissance one.
The church, erected in 1594 on a pre-existing Franciscan complex, the church is a masterpiece of the architect Biagio Rossetti.
The presence of the church, dedicated to the patron saint of the city, is documented as long ago as the 10th century.
The building was reconstructed in its present-day form after the earthquake of 1570 by the architect Alberto Schiatti. The ex-convent with two elegant cloisters still stands alongside it.
Of ancient origins, the church was built near a ford (vado in Italian) that crossed one of the many canals that intersected the area.
The building of the present-day church, attributed to Biagio Rossetti, began in 1498 and ended in 1551.
Argenta was possibly already a castle in Ravenna's Exarchate period. Before long, however, this community - like Ferrara - had to organise its life around two separate cores: one military/commercial, the other civic/religious.
In the huge square called St. Cassiano the beautiful town Cathedral rises up with its 18th century solemn bell tower.
The Romanesque church of St. Mary Savonuzzo, otherwise known as the church of San Venanzio, was built in 1344 above an old riverbed, by the orders of Giovanni da Saletta, the local overlord, as shown on the wall plaque on the facade.
The church, dedicated to Saints Vito, Modesto and Crescenzio and dating back to 1027, was built on the remains of an older building.
The parish church was founded before the 15th century, but it was rebuilt in the 18th century.
Following the damage caused by the Reno breaking its banks,...
This very ancient church was first mentioned in a document dated 1143 but it was rebuilt in the 16th century and modified to the Baroque style in 1776 by the architect Antonio Foschini.
The ancient church of Santo Stefano in Vicoaventino, was the site of the first Ferrarese diocesis.